ReSAC in joint collaboration with the Agency for Sustainable Development and Eurointegration (ASDE) and other Bulgarian R&D organizations and companies, united under the Bulgarian Information Office on Earth Observation – GMES (BIOG), takes part in the elaboration of a conceptual and services driven project in support of the Initiative/Strategy/Capacity Building program for a
Regional unit for risk and security management for South East Europe (RURSE)
This activity is following the actions, postulated in the Conclusions of the 2nd Earth Observation-GMES Operational Capacity Workshop , organised in Sofia with the support of the Bulgarian Government and the European Commission on 17-18 March 2011 as a first step towards an European network for balanced centralized and decentralized operational capacity approach in risk prevention, harmonizing local and national risk modelling and probabilistic scenarios, and strengthening integrated methodologies for risk assessment, prognosing and estimating natural and anthropogenic disasters impact; Preliminary exchange of different ideas under the initiative were realised with experts from DG ENTR – GMES Bureau, JRC-IPSC, Czech Republic, Germany, Greece, Poland, Romania, Slovenia, UK.
The RURSE initiative includes:
- help decentralised implementation of GMES core and downstream services in a big pan-region of SEE in a sustainable way;
- development of operational capacity in the countries in the region – South East Europe, including the Danube region;
- integration/synergy of EU programs/initiatives and strategies;
- realisation of Europe 2020;
- reduce the natural and anthropogenic hazards impact in Europe; preliminary modelling and forecast/early warning;
- increase the role of risk prevention and early warning;
- strength the direct access to data and services;
- support pilot initiatives;
- disseminate good practices;
- support the harmonisation of data, procedures, methodologies, indicators, Data Quality, Data Validation.