Starlab converts science into technologies with a profound positive impact on society and the planet. Our vision is to make science more useful, alive, vibrant, faster. With impact.
Customer oriented scientists:Scientific excellence and business discipline to transform science into solutions
New sensor, mission concepts and applications for Global Monitoring, Environment and Security
Starlab Space develops new and alternative methods for Remote Sensing applications.
On the technology side, we are working today on new space sensors and mission concepts for environmental monitoring, including remote sensing applications of GPS an Galileo, as well as new radar concepts.
On the application side, we have developed and continue to improve operational information services using space data for oil spill monitoring and water quality.
Our research includes the development of new sensor, concepts and efficient algorithms to extract maximal information from data, identification of platform/deployment opportunities, as well as development of know-how on the best use of data products for scientific and operational applications.
The Space Team has a strong expertise in radar altimetry, optical imaging, Synthetic Aperture Radar image processing and the use of Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) signals. Several members of the department have been working with the European Space Agency before joining the company and some of them are pioneers in GNSS Reflections analysis.
Examples of our capacity include:
- Feasibility studies and development of algorithms (GNSS-Reflections, Wide Swath Ocean Altimeter, Wavemill Concept)
- Implementation of algorithms (DARWIN, space interferometry for exo-planet observation)
- Mission analysis (SMOS collocation studies, GNSS-R mission strategies for mesoscale altimetry and tsunami detection)
- Development of instrument prototypes (PARIS PAD, GNSS-R altimetry airborne demonstrator)
- Data processing (GPS Reflections, scatterometry, altimetry, ice, soil moisture applications)
- The implementation of operational services (GMES MARCOAST, oil spill detection and water quality services using space and in situ data as well as MERCATOR models)
Our clients in the space sector include the European Space Agency, EADS, Ifremer, Alcatel, Telespazio, MERCATOR, and CNES.
Earth Observation Services
Satellites offer the capability to observe the Earth in a powerful, global way for improved management and sustainability
Earth Observation images show the world through a wide-enough frame so that complete large-scale phenomena can be observed to an accuracy and entirety it would take an army of ground-level observers to match. A single satellite image has the potential to show the spread of air pollution across a continent, the precise damage done in a region struck by an earthquake or forest fires, or the entire span of a 500-km hurricane from the calmness of its eye to its outermost storm fronts.
Earth Observation images can access remote areas where ground-based data acquisition is not possible. Since they remain in place for long periods of time, satellites can provide us a lot of interesting archived data and shows environmental changes occuring gradually.
Starlab provides services based in Earth Observation data (usually integrated with other in-situ data) to support clients working in:
- Renewal energy: wind mapping and wave mapping service for site selection or management of renewable energy plants.
- Environment monitoring: oil spill detection and water quality service to support our clients in regular monitoring in their countries/regions
- Water resources management: snow cover and soil moisture service to manage water in a more efficient way
Starlab is able to provide customised services for our client. Integrating EO data with in-situ available data. Our strong R&D capability can also help to solve the challenges of our clients by providing enhanced services in support of critical decision making.