Created at the instigation of the Midi-Pyrénées Region, NEREUS aims at creating a forum for dialogue, exchanges and discussion between the Regions and the stakeholders in European space policy, such as the Member States, the European Space Agency, (ESA), the European Commission or the space industry.
So far, 35 regions from 10 EU Member States have already expressed an interest in joining the network and 23 Regions already signed the Political Charter of NEREUS.
The founding members of NEREUS are:
1. Austria: Wien-VBA
2. Belgium: Région Bruxelles Capitale, Région Wallonne
3. France: Alsace, Aquitaine, Bretagne, Midi-Pyrénées, Nord Pas-de- Calais, Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur
4. Germany: Baden-Württemberg, Bayern, Brandenburg, Bremen, Hessen, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
5. Italy: Abruzzo, Basilicata, Campania, Emilia Romagna, Lazio, Lombardia, Molise, Piemonte, Puglia, Toscana, Veneto
6. Poland: Mazovieckie Voivodeship
7. Portugal: Açores, Madeira
8. Slovakia: Kosice, Presov
9. Spain: Aragon, Catalunya, Madrid
10. United-Kingdom: East Midlands
Because Regions are both end-users and data-providers, they are of great relevance when it comes to the development and experimentation of new applications and services. They will also be key actors to ensure the sustainability of GMES.
It took more than a year to give a concrete form to this initiative triggered by the Midi-Pyrénées Region and welcomed by the European Commission, especially by the GMES Bureau. One of the overall objectives of NEREUS is to federate the great diversity of European Regions.
More information at NEREUS