ENTICE “dEcentralised repositories for traNsparent and efficienT vIrtual maChine opErations”aims to decrease the delivery and deployment times of large virtual machine images using a federated Cloud infrastructures made by novel virtual machine (VM) repository and operational environment named ENTICE. On this project Elecnor Deimos research focuses in the development of future internet technologies to improve Earth observation services.
ENTICE has brought together a collection of three commercial use cases in the realms of energy management, cloud orchestration and big data. Companies dealing with Earth observation data, Cloud service providers and multi Cloud ecosystems will be able to optimize Virtual Machine (VM) images to effectively use Cloud resources and virtualised environments for their computing and data processing needs, trying to overcome the issues they had before:
● Manual, error-prone and time consuming VM image creation
● Monolithic VM images with large deployment and migration overheads
● Proprietary un-optimised VM repositories
● Inelastic resource provisioning
● Lack of information to support effective VM image optimization
In the Earth observation industry, processing and distribution of big space data still presents a critical challenge: the treatment of massive and large-sized data obtained from EO satellite recordings. Remote sensing industries implement conventional on-site infrastructures to acquire, store, process and distribute the generated geo-information. However these solutions do not cover sudden changes in the demand of services and the access to the information presents large latencies.
Elecnor Deimos will improve the following Earth Observation services and highly reduce the costs associated with on premises deployments:
● Acquisition of raw data: when the imagery data is ingested from the satellite into the ground station, the system is notified and the ingestion component automatically ingests the raw data into the cloud for processing.
● Processing of the raw data: once the data is ingested, it is processed in the product processors. There are several processing levels.
● Archiving and cataloguing geo-images: the different products obtained from the processing of raw data are archived and catalogued in order to provide these images to end users or to provide high-added value services.
● Offering user services: this is the front-end of the system. It allows end users to select which product they want to visualize or to download.
By using ENTICE environment, it is expected to highly decrease the delivery time of the satellite imagery to end users and therefore to improve their accessibility, increasing the competitiveness of the EO industries. It will be possible thanks to the ENTICE environment, which will drastically reduce the required time for the creation and the deployment of the VMs. This will allow to support high demanding changes adjusting the infrastructure to serve these overloads, taking advantage of the flexibility and lower time provided by the ENTICE environment.
SOURCE: Innovate UK & ENTICE & Elecnor Deimos