The Computerised Mining Cadastre System (CMCS) was successfully implemented at the Cadastre Division of the Mineral Resources Authority of Mongolia in 2010, with the objective of strengthening and improving administrative procedures and public services related to mineral titling. The CMCS was developed by GAF AG and has substantially improved the quality and speed of licence transaction processing, reduced discretionary actions within the cadastre office, and prevented licences from overlapping other licences or protected areas. By now, the system is in operation since four years without any failure or disruption.
In 2014, the system was extended to include a dedicated web portal with real-time connection to the operational database. The main purpose of this portal is to enhance transparency in the mining sector by providing information to the general public and to governmental and private authorities and organisations about the mineral licensing activities in Mongolia, via the Internet. The services provided by the web portal enable visitors to:
- Obtain real-time access to mineral licensing information
- Retrieve information about present activities in the mineral sector, such as the tendering of areas for mineral licences
- Access forms, documents and key information required to file applications
For registered users, the web portal offers additional possibilities to further optimise the processing of applications for mineral licenses, as well as enhancing customer relations. The functions available to registered users include:
- Map and verify the availability of areas, and upload spatial data and respective alphanumeric information and application forms
- Track the processing of applications for new mineral licenses and licence modifications
The new portal is available at http://cmcs.mram.gov.mn
The portal was developed within the framework of the World Bank-funded Mining Sector Institutional Strengthening Technical Assistance Project (MSISTAP) by GAF AG, a consultancy company based in Germany which has worldwide experience in the development of mining cadastre systems. The implementation is a customised component of GAF’s eMC+ electronic Mining Cadastre framework.