EARSC – the European Association of Remote Sensing Companies – is a non-profit trade association working on behalf of the geospatial information services industry in Europe; in particular the EO services sector which comprises companies generating information using satellite imagery. Established 30 years ago, today, EARSC has over 100 members from throughout Europe and is gaining wide recognition as a key actor in the sector.
Of particular importance is the European Union flagship programme, Copernicus. This is offering new opportunities to the sector to help develop a commercial market and new commercial services. EARSC plays a key role as an interlocutor between the industry and the public stakeholders responsible for driving the Copernicus programme.
As well as a lobbying role, EARSC’s main effort is focused on helping to open up and develop the market for the products and services which the companies offer. We seek to understand and develop close links with other sectors in Europe and internationally which are (potential) users of these products and services.
The Product Manager will work in a small team out of our office in Brussels. Their duties will include leading or supporting the EARSC activities within the secretariat specifically associated with digital tools to support our members, particularly eoMALL, a digital marketplace currently under development through which companies can offer their on-line services. Leading the development of this product will involve significant interaction with other organisations throughout Europe and requires initiative and innovation. This will require a blend of technical understanding and ‘soft’ skills to ensure that the resulting software meets user needs.
The job will include a certain amount of travel mainly inside Europe with much activity being focused around Brussels and the European institutions which are strong influencers for our technology and its markets.
The position will offer a variety of work and represents an excellent opportunity to gain valuable experience of working with EU bodies from an industry perspective. Suitable support will be given to the candidate by senior members of the team and there is significant possibility to shape the job to suit the skills of the person recruited.
The successful candidate’s responsibilities will include:
• Working with the platform developers to tune the platform and make it attractive to both EO service providers and their clients
• Promoting the value offered by the site towards potential users
• Attracting additional service providers to offer their services through the marketplace
• Supporting development activities with digital insights surrounding on-line services
• Liaising with other project teams to create new features for the Marketplace responding to their specific needs
• A relevant university degree plus several years of experience
• Business knowledge preferably with direct business experience
• Excellent level of spoken and written English. Other languages are an advantage
• Evidence of creative thinking and innovation; ability to take initiatives
• Knowledge of digital marketplaces or commercial internet services
• An ability to network and build good working relationships
• Ability to perform research tasks using both Internet tools and other direct methods
Candidates are invited to submit their CV together with a letter of motivation to EARSC at email@example.com.