EARSC – the European Association of Remote Sensing Companies – is a non-profit trade association working on behalf of the geospatial information services industry in Europe; in particular the EO services sector which comprises companies generating information using satellite imagery. Established 30 years ago, today, EARSC has over 100 members from throughout Europe and is gaining wide recognition as a key actor in the sector.
Of particular importance is the European Union flagship programme, Copernicus. This is offering new opportunities to the sector to help develop a commercial market and new commercial services. EARSC plays a key role as an interlocutor between the industry and the public stakeholders responsible for driving the Copernicus programme.
As well as a lobbying role, EARSC’s main effort is focused on helping to open up and develop the market for the products and services which the companies offer. We seek to understand and develop close links with other sectors in Europe and internationally which are (potential) users of these products and services.
The Project Officer will work in a small team out of our office in Brussels. Their duties will include leading or supporting the EARSC activities within the secretariat and specifically those linked to a major European project contributing to global business. It will involve significant interaction with other organisations throughout Europe and requires initiative and innovation.
The job will include a certain amount of travel, mainly inside Europe, with much activity being focused around Brussels and the European institutions which are strong influencers for our technology and its markets.
The position will offer a variety of work and represents an excellent opportunity to gain valuable experience of working with EU bodies from an industry perspective. Suitable support will be given to the candidate by senior members of the team and there is significant possibility to shape the job to suit the skills of the person recruited.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
• Co-ordinating a small team working on a key European project aiming to support companies and entrepreneurs (start-ups) develop their businesses
• Co-ordinating access to specialist expertise on markets, finance, technical and legal matters
• Ensuring the co-ordination with other project partners working to develop pilot applications
• Working with experts across Europe to evaluate proposals for new pilots
• Supporting young companies in their early growth stages
• Mapping European resources available to help the new businesses grow
• A relevant university degree plus several years of experience
• Business knowledge preferably with direct business experience
• Excellent level of spoken and written English. Other languages are an advantage
• Evidence of creative thinking and innovation; ability to take initiatives
• An ability to network and build good working relationships
• Ability to perform research tasks using both Internet tools and other direct methods.
Candidates are invited to submit their CV together with a letter of motivation to EARSC at firstname.lastname@example.org.